I keep seeing recipes for detox salads this week and felt inspired to play around with inventing my own. This seriously delicious combination is full of raw crunchy vegetables, a “feta” that’s made out of cauliflower, and is topped with a (pre-made) tahini dressing. Because the vegetables in this salad hold up so well, I made a HUGE undressed bowl to take for lunch throughout the week. Below you’ll find the recipe followed by a breakdown of key ingredients and their benefits:
- 1 head kale, rinsed well and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 4 carrots, shredded into strips (I used a vegetable peeler, grating would work, too)
- Kalamata olives, thinly sliced (to taste)
- Sunflower seeds
- Asparagus (recipe below)
- Cauli-feta, recipe below
- Trader Joes Goddess Dressing
- Sambal chili paste (if you’re a spice fanatic, such as myself!)
- Add ingredients through feta to a bowl and toss well.
- Serve topped with Goddess Dressing (you won’t need much, thanks to the “feta”) and a splash of Sambal.
Cauli-Feta (adapted from: this recipe via Blissful Basil)
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into medium-size pieces
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- Add cauliflower to food processor and pulse until broken down into small pieces.
- Add lemon juice, EVOO, and pepper and mix well. Let marinate in fridge for 10 minutes or so.
- 1 bunch asparagus
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400
- Toss asparagus with all ingredients, seasoning to taste.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes, or until starting to brown.
- Let cool. Once cooled, cut spears into thirds.
Breakdown of benefits:
Green Veggies (as a whole): loaded with chlorophyll which rids the body of environmental toxins, heavy metals, herbicides, and pesticides; aide in detox, increasing oxygen content, and purifying the blood; are the essential building blocks of a healthy, vibrant, and wholesome diet.
Asparagus: helps with liver drainage/filtering out toxic materials; aids in anti-aging battle; protects from getting cancer; helps your heart to stay healthy; is an anti-inflammatory food.
Broccoli: specifically works with the enzymes in your liver to turn toxins into a form that your body can eliminate easily; lowers cholestorol; activates, nuetralizes and eliminates unwanted contaiminents in body through 3 key glucosinolate phytonutrients; anti-inflammatory.
Cabbage: lowers cholesterol; aids in digestion; high in vitamins K & C, loaded with sulfur-containing compounds which prevent cancer by promoting the elimination of potential carcinogens from the body.
Kale: helps flush out kidneys; natural antioxidant & anti-inflammatory; high in carotenes, which the body converts into Vitamin-A, promoting healthy skin and immune systems, chewing raw kale creates enzymes to help the liver detoxify cancer causing issues in the body.
Lemons: jump-start digestion by stimulating the release of enzymes and Vitamin C, which aids in flushing the body out; supports liver in it’s cleansing process aiding in detoxification; Vit. C helps to transfrom toxins into digestable material.