Dairy-free, Gluten-free, Grain-free, Soy-free, Vegan
I recently found out that I have a mild coconut intolerance. Coconut. Do you know how tough that makes life for someone whose day consists of coconut fat lattes for breakfast and fat bombs for snacks!? Okay, maybe not THAT tough but it definitely was a shocker and I had to quickly come up with some new dietary staples.
The girls that I work with make protein balls that typically have oats and some form of coconut fat in them to help them stick together. One of my co-workers recently made a grain-free version, which was my inspiration for these. These little guys are seedy and crunch and peanut buttery and chocolatey… Basically all the best things! I make them pretty small because the calorie/fat content is pretty high. They’re great little snacks and store super well in the freezer.
This is a super loose recipe and what that means is that I haven’t perfected the ratios, and really just end up just dumping things in the bowl in large quantities and using a spoon (my hands) to taste. You really just need the mixture to be sticky enough to be able to roll into balls.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Protein Balls
- 6 oz pecans
- 6 oz walnuts
- 2 Tbsp flax
- 2 Tbsp cup chia
- 1/8 cup hemp hearts
- 2 Cups Peanut Butter (crunchy!)
- 1/4 cup dairy-free, soy-free chocolate chis
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pulse pecans and walnuts in food processor until very finely chopped. Add to medium sized bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients to bowl and mix well. Really, the only way to do this is to get your hands dirty. You want to make sure it’s sticky!
- Wet hands and roll mixture into tsp size balls and place on baking sheet. Put in freezer until hardened.
- Store in freezer.